First-Time Dog Owner Coaching & Training
This 3-month coaching and training program is for first time dog owners in the Atlanta, GA area who want to build a strong and trusting relationship with their dog, minimize mistakes and naughty dog behavior and want to learn the most important skills, principles, and tips around dog care, dog training, dog equipment, toys, and dog health.
With your full engagement in this program:
- Your dog will know all the basic commands such as sit, down, stay, come, leave it, off and whatever else you want to teach your dog
- Your dog will walk on leash calmly
- Your dog will be house and crate trained
- Your dog will have solid social skills so that you can enjoy your life with your dog in public places and you and your dog will enjoy guests coming to the home
- You will know how to choose the best dog food and treats for your dogs, and how to avoid feeding your dog harmful food
- You will learn what questions to ask and what red flags to watch out for when it comes to choosing the right veterinarian for your dog
- You will save yourself a lot of money on collars, leashes or toys that are ineffective or dangerous
- You will understand and read the body language and communication of your dog so that you can provide safe and calm leadership
- You will enjoy making minor lifestyle adjustments in order to accommodate your dog’s needs
- And so much more.
To discuss logistics, content, and customization, click here to schedule a complimentary 20- minute introduction conversation.
If you prefer a more detailed version of the program, read below.
The Detailed Description of the First-Time Dog Owner Program
You watched your friends having fun with their dogs or maybe your parents had a dog when you were young, and you now decided that you want to have a dog of your own. Getting a new dog is exciting; almost as exciting as welcoming a baby into your home. But what kind of breed? How old? What energy? Should you get a dog from a shelter, a rescue group or maybe a breeder? What equipment or toys should you buy? What dog food should you feed? And how do you choose the best veterinarian for your dog?
Questions over questions. Most dog owners just wing it and make a lot of mistakes in the process. I know I did when I first got my dog. Sure I bought books about dog training, dog health, and dog care. And I joined a dog sports club where I watched other dog owners train their dogs but still I made a ton of mistakes that cost me a lot of money and nerves in the long run.
Most first-time dog owners join group obedience classes at major pet stores, but there you are only taught how to teach your dog basic obedience commands. Unfortunately, many of the dog trainers in these stores are not trained in other areas of dog care and provide limited answers and options to questions outside of basic dog obedience.
Teaching a dog the basic obedience commands is rather easy but what about the everyday behavior in the home or in public – where can you learn that. Many dog owners contact me because their dog jumps up on guests, chews up furniture, acts aggressively towards children or guests, pulls on the leash, or acts out of control in public when (s)he sees other people or dogs. Where can you learn how to avoid these major mistakes and instead teach your dog excellent behavior no matter where you are and what you do?
This is where this program comes in place.
When I got my first dog, I didn’t know anything about dog training and dog care. I let my dog pull me all over the place. I visited veterinarians who scared the hell out of me. I gave my dog food that caused diarrhea and bowel inflammation. I put my dog in situations that ended up in dog fights. And I spent a ton of money on vet care, dog toys, and dog equipment that was useless.
But my love for dogs made me an avid learner about dog training, dog well-being, dog health, and dog behavior. I joined several dog training clubs and traveled all over the Southeast to learn from the best dog trainers. After a long search, I was lucky to find a veterinarian who took the time to educate me about dog health. I read many books on dog training, behavior and health. I joined many online programs and invested thousands of dollars in learning from the best. Additionally, I took in many foster dogs who we trained and placed in happy homes. Years of personal experience, study, and research helped me create a wealth of information and tips that I want to share with you so that you save yourself those mistakes that cost me a lot of time, nerves, and money.
This 3-month program is for you if you want to:
- avoid major mistakes regarding obedience training and public behavior of your dog
- learn how to train your dog with positive reinforcement so that you and your dog have fun and build a strong relationship
- learn how to pick a veterinarian who has your best interest at heart
- avoid spending hundreds of dollars on collars, leashes, toys, and pet products that are either useless, ineffective or hazardous.
- know how to pick the right food for your dog so that you create a strong foundation for the dog’s health and save yourself time on veterinarian visits
If you don’t have a dog yet, I can help you determine what breed of dog is best for you and your family. Together we can visit shelters or rescue groups to find the right match for you. This program is a combination of dog training, owner coaching, and owner training. We mix hands-on dog training classes and educational video sessions to teach you everything you need to know to build a strong, healthy and safe relationship with your dog.
Training sessions at your home or in a public place where you will learn to train your dog how to
- Be house trained
- Be comfortable in the crate
- Sit / stay (on- and off-leash)
- Lay down / stay (on- and off-leash)
- Recall / Come when called (on- and off-leash)
- Walk politely with you (on- and off-leash)
- Drop an item / let go of something
- Treadmill (optional)
- Waiting for food
- Waiting at thresholds (i.e. doors, car, crate, etc.)
- Behave well in public and at home
You will also learn how to avoid/reduce minor behavior issues such as:
- Jumping up on people
- Nipping, mouthing
- Counter surfing
- Excessive barking
Dog Owner Training & Coaching:
Consultation sessions via Zoom Video or at your home where you will learn:
- how to identify and select the best food and treats for your dog
- what to ask your veterinarian and how to avoid unnecessary and costly services by a vet
- how to train your dog so that (s)he feels comfortable and behaves well around guests and strangers
- what collar, leash, harness, toys to get that work
- what you can do at home when your dog has a minor health issue, and you can save the trip to the vet
- basic grooming and nail clipping principles
- basic dog training principles and critical mistakes to avoid to keep your dog safe and avoid major
- and much more that you aren’t even aware of yet.
If you are a hands-on first-time dog owner who wants to build a strong relationship with your dog and avoid critical mistakes in dog training and dog care, this program provides you the solid foundation. It is a comprehensive program that is unique in its content and format and it will save you thousands of dollars over the life of your dog.
Since this is an individual program, it will be customized to your needs to learn and your dog’s circumstances. And with your dedication to follow through with the program assignments, you will have a dog that you can take anywhere and people will say to you, “what a nice dog; he is so well behaved.”
If this speaks to you, click here to schedule a 20-minute complimentary introduction conversation. I will answer all your question and we will discuss your objectives, logistics, content, and customization.